Trust taking 'racist, homophobic, or misogynistic' allegations 'very seriously'

Barts Health NHS Trust has said it is taking allegations of racist, homophobic, or misogynistic behaviour ‘very seriously' following an external investigation.

The Royal London Hospital (c) Barts Trust

The Royal London Hospital (c) Barts Trust

The comments came after The Sunday Times revealed a workplace investigation by Ibex Gale had found evidence of a ‘toxic' culture among surgeons at the oral and maxillofacial service at The Royal London Hospital.

Dr Neil Ashman, chief executive of The Royal London Hospital, said: ‘We commissioned the investigation after identifying concerns in the service and are taking the allegations very seriously. 

‘We would like to reassure patients that the service we provide is safe, and there is no evidence of poor outcomes for our patients as a result of relationships between our colleagues.

‘At Barts Health, we do not accept any type of racist, homophobic, or misogynistic behaviour. We are committed to maintaining a safe and respectful environment, reviewing the findings of the report and taking appropriate action.'

The trust said there was no evidence patients had operations cancelled due to poor relations between staff members and no evidence of patient harm.

Barts said there had been eight serious incidents in the department over the past five years, none of which related to communication difficulties between oral and maxillofacial service surgeons.

The trust said the department had better outcomes than the national average for: all-cause emergency readmission within 30 days of discharge; readmission for sepsis within four months of procedure; and readmission for further procedures within 30 days.

Barts said patient safety was its top priority and it actively encouraged the reporting of any concerns through its feedback channels.

Reablement workers to strike over outsourcing plans

Reablement workers to strike over outsourcing plans

By Lee Peart 11 August 2026

Reablement workers in Gloucestershire have voted for two weeks of strike action over plans to outsource their roles to a private company from 17 August.

UK first in Europe to authorise weight loss drug

By Lee Peart 11 August 2026

The UK has become the first nation in Europe to authorise the orforglipron (Foundayo), GLP-1 tablet for weight management and type 2 diabetes.

Health Bill risks 'patient safety bonfire', Lib Dems claim

By Lee Peart 11 August 2026

The abolition of Healthwatch England and The Health Services Safety Investigations Body (HSSIB) threatens a ‘bonfire of patient safety’, according to the Lib...


Popular articles by Lee Peart